It’s rhubarb season here and my plants are growing like crazy. Yesterday, I made one of my favourite rhubarb desserts. It makes a 9X13 pan, so my kids each got a large portion. If you have rhubarb, give this a try.
The recipe comes from Taste of Home, and can be found here: Rhubarb Custard Bars
Rhubarb Custard Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13×9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° until custard is set, 40-45 minutes. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Makes 36 pieces. Store in the refrigerator.